Credit: West Africa Trade Hub

Friday 24 August 2007

Tilt the balance of development in favour of rural areas

Where mixed populations live confined in cities you can easily find disadvantages even though there is more infrastructure around you than in the countryside.

Banking

Queuing at banks at pick time because self-service comes with a charge is painful. Today I had to show an ID because my branch is not in the area where I live. A card does not mean much here since thefts occur on a quite frequent basis.

Mistrust seems to be prominent. The cashier lady asked me where I work and what I do there. Did the white become object of greater suspicion? Do black see that white do not have to be richer? I believe that the feeling of anti-colonialism has revived and, take me serious or not, I fear a revolution.

I wonder if the people are going through a crisis since the change of currency. I noted price increase. Is it going to translate in inflation?

Congestion

People realize things are wrong. Cars are poluting air, congestionning paths. Inequalities are causing despair and triggering crime. Globalisation is threatening everybody's security, employment and future as a whole. nobody can predict what will be tomorrow. Only can we hope that it will be better.

Sad but there is room for improvement and hope

The unease is felt worse in poor countries. Cities reflect best crises whereas mismanagement, lack of planning and vision have long hampered the development of rural areas. Is the sign
now clear enough for decision-makers to act in favour of sustainable development EVERYWHERE? I wish so but I still doubt.

There is no least effective and most detrimental development than focusing all resources and energy on the capital city. Development of more cities around a country is crucial to diversify sources of wealth and to the welfare of an entire population.

Education, employment and equality of chances for all are the challenge and solution to reach. It is time for African leaders to focus on the development of their own country, region, continent. They know the issues at stake, they have the power to decide but need the will, spirit and good care to manage.

If you really liked your country (Ghana) you would know what to do and how to do it.

Stop talking/making money for yourself and act for the Good of the People!

No comments: