Credit: West Africa Trade Hub

Sunday 1 July 2007

Flip-flop



This is a story of flip-flops, a type of thong sandal. My friend Gigi bought them in the USA. She announced me in a text message that she got Old Navy flip-flops that would be nice having during my stay in Mali and Burkina. I first thought it was a joke. Then, she explained that Old Navy was a shop in New York.

I traveled for almost three weeks. I could not see Gigi when I returned as we were both busy and on the move. She kept reminding me that she wanted to give me the flip-flops. She insisted to see me between the day I come back from my second trip and the time she travels again.

Yesterday, I finally went to her place. She gave me the sandals of golden colour and size 8 – a bit big but it is okay for this type of footwear. I went to a shop after leaving Gigi. I tried some clothes on – without finding one I wanted to buy. I then took a taxi to go home.

After some time, I realised that I had left the flip-flops at the shop! I could not go back because it was night and quite far. I could not tell Gigi: it would have been as if I did not care about what she just offered me. I tried to find the phone number of the shop on internet but it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I decided to wait until tomorrow to go back to the shop.

After work today, I took a taxi to the shop. The lady who had seen me the day before came to open the entrance door. I asked her about the flip-flops and she brought them to me. I was relieved and content that that person had preciously kept something she might have thought I was – never – going to pick up.

After all this, I am now wearing the lovely flip-flops.

No comments: